The Holiday Season is officially here and it’s time add an extra spark in celebration of the holidays.
Why not get creative with food?
You want your children to enjoy the festivities of Halloween without the extra corn syrup sugary sweets, but how to encourage healthy snacks during a holiday that’s all about the sugar?
Try out these spooky green organic apple monsters. They’re fun and easy to make. Plus, they’re colorful without the extra dyes. It’s a great healthy Halloween option:
- No GMO
- No Gluten
- No Nuts
Just good ol’ fashion green apples, sunflower butter, sunflower seeds, a juicy strawberry tongue, and a batch of homemade googly eyes. The great part about this recipe of awesomeness is that you can opt-out of sugary starches to make the eyes and opt-in with using vegan selection. You can make the googly eyes from homemade vegan recipe. The great thing about opting for homemade vegan googly eyes is that not only will you have great delicious decoratives for the spooky green apple monsters, but now you can make this deliecious silly treat without the use of gelatin. This is great for holistic green parents who would like to avoid animal products! Eye got you covered (snickering…)
Plus, you can save the apple seeds from the green apples and tell your little one about how everything started from a seed. Just like in Dr. Pooch’s book, “It Started From Seed“.
Just store these babies in an air-tight container and you’re good to go in pronto time.
These spooky organic green apple monsters is a fun snack that can encourage your little to enjoy eating apple bites. You’ll have the kiddos begging for more!
SPOOKY ORGANIC GREEN APPLE MONSTERS
- 2 green apples (each in quarters)
- Sunflower butter
- 32 sunflower seeds
- 2–3 strawberries, sliced
- 1–3 homemade vegan googly eyes per apple bite
- Cut each green apples in half. Scoop out the seeds and core. (Psss…Don’t worry if the apples are not perfectly cut. It doesn’t have to initially look perfect because we’ll be using the sunbutter to cover it up. No-one would ever know)
- Cut the apple in quarters
- Locate the inside of the cut gap and coat it with sunflower butter.
- Use 4 sunflower seeds on the top of the “mouth” for the teeth.
- Place 1 sliced strawberry inside the bottom mouth for the tongue.
- Apple a small dab of sunbutter where you would like the eyes to be located and place the googly eye on top of the dab.
- Serve the monsters with a loving smile.
VEGAN GOOGLY EYES
- 1 c. powdered coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. tapioca starch
- 1 Tbsp. agave syrup
- 2 tsp. nondairy milk
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract (or vanilla extract)
- mini nondairy chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life)
- Place powdered coconut sugar and tapioca starch in a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add the remainder ingredients (EXCEPT for the chocolate chips) and mix until combine until it becomes a thick paste.
- Place into either a piping bag or Ziploc baggie with a small hole at the corner.
- Place wax papers on a baking sheet and pipe dots into one row.
- Gently top each dot with the mini chocolate chip (Make sure you place the mini chocalate chips on top of the pipe dots within 15 minutes or it will set.)
- Repeat until all the paste is gone.
- Allow the vegan googly eyes to set for at least 24 hours on your counter.